John has 20 years of aviation industry experience in the airline affairs and airport consulting. Following his retirement from Northwest Airlines, John joined Trillion in 2007 after serving as a corporate real estate airport affairs director for nearly 12 years. During his years with Northwest, John worked with over 75 airports in the United States and Canada. Prior to joining Northwest Airlines, John had 12 years of management and development experience of commercial real estate programs.
Since joining Trillion, John has a focused specialization in the business services section assisting airport management to manage their airports as a business utilizing tools such as leases utilizing industry “best practices” concepts, on-airport development, non-airline revenues, business strategies, FBO assessment and management, and air service development. These specialties have been most effective at the non-hub and small hub sized airports in the U.S. where John has been instrumental in developing and implementing cost recovery business strategies. Specifically, these airports seek guidance on airline decision making processes, best practices and benchmarking from their similarly situated airports, and business plan related opportunities to grow revenues and to manage capital and operational costs.
In addition, John has co-authored ACRP publication 19A: Resource Guide to Airport Performance Indicators and spoken on topics such as emerging ground handling models, airport non-airline revenue development, and airport cost savings best practices at conferences, including the Minnesota Council of Airports annual conference, Ground Handling Initiatives Workshops, and the AAAE National Air Service Conference.
John has developed programs in the areas of food, beverage, and retail concessions, FBO lease and development alternatives, rental car negotiations and the implementation of CFC programs to reimburse Airports for investments and operating costs, parking management programs, and commercial vehicle programs. Each of these programs is customized to meet the needs of the particular Airport to best match the opportunity with the Airport’s risk profile.
As a former airline representative and as a consultant, John regularly negotiated the business terms and drafted provisions in airline use and lease agreements. During his time with the airline, John served on over fifty Airline Airport Affairs Committees responsible for overseeing airport projects, capital and operating budgets, master plans, and airline leases and fees. He had been instrumental in developing and maintaining relationships with the airport authorities by serving as the key corporate liaison between airport directors and Northwest Airlines’ corporate interests. John served as chair of the airline committees in MSP, MKE, HNL, and numerous small hub airports. In addition, John served on Executive Committees in DEN, MCI, SEA, PDX, SFO, LAX, ORD, and ANC. Further, John was elected as corporate treasurer and board director for the Midway Airlines’ Terminal Consortium (MATCO), which managed the airline carriers’ procurements at Chicago Midway Airport and as a board member on the airline consortiums in SFO and the International Terminal at ORD.
MBA, University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, MN 1982
BS, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS 1973
Corporate member, American Association of Airport Executives
Member, Minnesota Council of Airports
Airline Agreement Negotiations, Airline Affairs, and Rates Structure
- Philadelphia International Airport - Airline Use and Lease Agreement Amendment Negotiations and Airline Strategy
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport - Amendment to CPTC Lease Agreement and Strategy, project negotiation and management
- Minneapolis- St. Paul International Airport - Negotiated a new Airline Use and Lease Agreement and the development of a $3.1B airport expansion program
- Chicago Midway Airport – Negotiated a new airline use and lease agreement for the development of a new terminal complex and transition for the previous facility
- Denver International Airport – As Finance Committee chair, negotiated the first extension of the original lease and modified rate calculation structure
- Milwaukee General Mitchell International Airport – Negotiated the terms and conditions of a new lease and rates and modified rates and charges model
Current Active Related Assignments – Airline Leases / Rates Structures / Concession Agreements / Parking Management and Commercial Vehicle Management Programs
- Corpus Christi International Airport (CRP)
- Minot International Airport (MOT)
- MBS International Airport (MBS)
- Moline Quad City International Airport (MLI)
- Bemidji Regional Airport (BJI)
- Duluth International Airport (DLH)
- Rochester International Airport (RST)
- Springfield-Branson National Airport (SGF)
- Shreveport Regional Airport (SHV)
- Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport (AMA)
- Rochester International Airport (RST)