Airport Operations and Maintenance
Steve has over 19 years of industry experience in airport operations and maintenance. Prior to joining Trillion Aviation in 2013 he served for nine years as the Director of MSP Operations for the Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC) at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP).
Preceding that assignment Steve was the Assistant Airport Director / Facilities. During this timeframe the MAC invested $3.2 Billion in implementing their 2010 master plan. Steve has experience in terminal development and planning from a facilities and maintenance perspective, the development of airport design and constructions standards, airport staffing and reorganization initiatives, new FIS terminal planning (T-2) existing FIS renovations (T-1), energy saving sustainability projects, strategic planning, development of contracting agreements (custodial, conveyance, HVAC etc.), accessibility program planning, building commissioning, concessions logistics and computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) implementation.
Prior to joining Trillion, Steve served as a peer review adviser on an AECOM North American team at international airports in the US, Canada and EU. Steve also co-authored ACRP publication 10-11 “Creating Collaborative Environments between Airport Operations and Maintenance Departments”.
At Trillion, Steve has focused on assisting large hub, medium hub and smaller airports with CMMS implementation, terminal planning, strategic planning, concessions planning, client representation, ADA accessibility projects, competitive assessments, common use equipment studies, airport staffing and reorganization, airport facility assessments, Airline Technical Representation (ATR) services and the development of design and construction standards. Steve also served as interim Airport Director at the Waterloo, Iowa Regional Airport for eight months under a unique contract management agreement.
In addition, Steve has spoken on topics such as airport non-airline revenue development, logistics planning, airport environmental initiatives, airport accessibility, leadership, customer service and the impact of aging travelers at conferences including AAAE Great Lakes, AAAE Annuals, Passenger Terminal Expos and other international aviation conferences in the United States, Europe, Asia and the Mideast.
Prior to joining the aviation industry in 1998, Steve worked for a number of years managing small and large wastewater treatment plants. He originally began his career as a social worker and counselor, and is known for his communication skills and for his approach to seeking consensus solutions to problems.
Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership, Bethel University, 2007
BA, History & Social Work, Bethel University, 1976
AAAE Accredited Airport Executive
Member: Minnesota Council of Airports
Corporate Member: American Association of Airport Executives
Board Member and Officer: Airport Foundation, MSP
Airport Operations and Maintenance
- (ALO) Waterloo Regional Airport (ALO) – Contract Management, Strategic Planning
- (AMA) Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport – Competitive Assessment
- (CRP) Corpus Christi International Airport – Facilities and Maintenance Assessment
- (CVG) Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky International Airport – Common Use Customer Facing Technology Analysis and Recommendations, ADA / FAA Disability Assessment
- (MKE) General Mitchell International Airport – New International Arrivals Feasibility Study
- (MOT) Minot International Airport (MOT) – Strategic Planning and new Terminal Planning
- (MSP) Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport - OTG / MAC / Delta Coordination, Clear Channel / MAC RFP Planning
- (PIT) Pittsburgh International Airport - CMMS Evaluation and Asset Management upgrades
- (PHL) Philadelphia International Airport - CMMS Implementation, Maintenance Department Assessment, Custodial Services Support, Facility Maintenance Contract technical assistance
- (PHX) Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport - Development of Design and Construction Standards
- (RST) Rochester International Airport – Strategic Planning and Competitive Assessment
- (SEA) Seattle-Tacoma International Airport – Airline Technical Representative (ATR) International Arrivals Facility Project
- (SGF) Springfield-Branson National Airport – Facilities and Maintenance Assessment